Although you may think that only the golf equipment can influence your game, you should know that the quality and the level of comfort of your clothes can also have a role in the way you play. The right type of pants will allow you to stretch without any problem, while the right pair of shoes will help you feel comfortable, walk on the course and perform your shots with ease.
It is even important to have a good grip on the floor when hitting the ball. If you slip when throwing a ball, you’ll probably end up losing some accuracy. When choosing between different pairs of golf shoes, there are several things you need to consider before making your final decision.
Choose the proper size
The way your golf shoes fit you is essential in making you feel at ease on the golf course. When you choose the shoes, measure both feet and if they have different lengths, choose the one that is bigger, otherwise your feet will hurt. Always try the shoes on wearing the type of socks that you will wear during the game and test the shoes while walking. Don’t worry if the shoes feel tighter on the middle area of your foot because that is the area that offers the most support while you swing. Buy shoes that have one-half of an inch of space between the tip of the shoe and your big toe.
Pay attention to the material of the golf shoes
The waterproof feature is an important aspect in golf shoes that will make you feel comfortable and will assure the shoes will last multiple seasons. There is nothing worse than feeling your feet wet during a golf game on a rainy day, so make sure you pay attention to this aspect. Going on the course early in the morning is also a good reason to have waterproof shoes as the course might be wet.Leather golf shoes are usually weather proof, so the quality and the price will easily indicate the weatherproofing feature.
On the other end, if you play in hot conditions or under the sun, you really want to consider lighter and more breathable golf shoes.
Spikes or no spikes?
Besides an aesthetic matter, the spikes on golf shoes also influence the way you play while wearing the shoes. Spiked shoes will offer you more grip when playing and are extremely useful on hilly courses because they will give you adherence. The spikes can be changed when they are used.
On the other hand, spikeless shoes are more comfortable and easier to wear during short games. Wearing comfortable golf shoes for walking is obviously a good thing on the golf course. When you take the spikes into account, choose based on your swing, the type of course and how often you play golf.
In a few words, consider that spiked golf shoes will give you:
- more stability
- more traction
- better overall support
- better for wet condition than spikeless shoes
In summary, spikeless golf shoes are:
- more comfortable
- more flexible
- better for dry condition
- usable outside the golf course
Choose your favorite style
Being an elegant sport with a strict etiquette, no wonder there are so many styles of golf shoes that match every taste and outfit. Some modern golf shoes are visually quite similar to running shoes.
You can choose from traditional models, trendy styles for young and stylish golfers, athletic models offered by popular manufacturers or even golf sandals for those who really want to feel relaxed and comfortable.
- traditional golf shoes looks like dress shoes. They have a classic style, have spikes, they do need caring and they cannot be worn outside the golf course.
- modern spiked shoes are lighter than its traditional counterpart. They trade the classic looks for modern design and synthetic leather (in most cases) and a search of performance. As they have spikes, they cannot be worn outside the course either.
- modern spikeless shoes are closer to running shoes than the previous style. They are low profile, usable outside the golf course and comfortable. They do lack the level of support and performance of the spiked shoes but are a good choice for dry condition and even terrains.
- sandal golf shoes are by definition very breathable. They are clearly not designed for performance and are not a good choice unless you are playing in very hot condition. They trade performance and support for comfort, breathability and weight.
Frequently asks questions
Do golf shoes make a difference?
Yes, they do make a difference. But they are not mandatory from a performance point of view for beginners. They helps but you can choose starting learning to play golf without them and then buy a pair of shoes. It is important if you do not know if the sport will convince you.
Do you need golf shoes?
You might be required to respect the rules, especially in some strict golf courses. Otherwise, they are recommended but not mandatory. If you are missing grip during your swing, then yes, they are absolutely needed.